by Jenée Desmond-Harris onMay 2, 2011
In a video for the museum's "Looking at Music 3.0" exhibit, Cey Adams discuses the evolution of the genre through the lens of his experience as Def Jam's creative director. Watch here.
April 23, 2011
Rhetorical questions are always fun, right?
January 6, 2011
The Atlantic columnist has issues with the way women, white and black, are treated in Kanye's latest work.
January 3, 2011
From the Haiti earthquake and the BP oil spill to Nicki Minaj's voices and Erykah Badu's video, Skillz covers it all.
November 8, 2010
The Anthology of Rap is rife with transcription errors. Why is it so hard to get rap lyrics right?
by Jozen Cummings onOctober 14, 2010
The president of Def Jam Interactive tells all about the video game that finally does hip-hop justice.
by Marjorie Valbrun onAugust 6, 2010
In an open letter to the hip-hop icon, a fellow Haitian-American explains why it's a bad idea for him to try to become president of Haiti.
April 30, 2010
This week on The Confab: Dorothy Height's funeral and the end of an era. The racial shorthand of "victim studies" in the reparations debate, Clybourne Park and the complexities of gentrification, and Guru, Mos Def and reconciling the black middle class in the hip-hop community. Join The Root's managing editor as he talks with media and culture writer Natalie Hopkinson and regular contributor to The Root Stanley Crouch.
* Podcast production by Abdullah Rufus.
* Podcast theme music by Timothy Morrison.
April 28, 2010
We're supposedly living in a post-racial society, but these days, "black" is being defined much more narrowly -- and it has nothing to do with one's actual racial heritage. To sell out or keep it real? That is the question.
December 7, 2009
Young black Brits are running the show in today's U.K. music business via the once highly unlikely route of a hip-hop sub-genre called grime.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
The singer constantly pushes the envelope with the pictures she shares, but is it all a gimmick?
Joshua Hornsby's daughter Ja'Nae, who was 9 years old, was among seven people found dead on Monday.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- 12-Year-Old Girl Hangs Herself After Being Cyberbullied By Classmates
- Gunman Shoots Up Strip Club With AK-47 After DJ Refuses To Play Song
- No Surprise: Some GOP Foaming At Mouth For Obama Impeachment Amid ‘Scandals’
- Body Of Portland Woman Missing In Hawaii Found On Beach
- Check Out Barack ‘Barry’ Obama’s Prom Pics!