by Sheryl Huggins Salomon onApril 17, 2011
Dozens injured statewide, and Shaw University forced to shutter for rest of semester. See a student video of the wild storm.
March 11, 2011
When it comes to investments in clean energy and STEM education, Energy Secretary Steven Chu says historically black colleges are one of the country's most promising resources.
by Michael Lomax onMarch 5, 2011
Never mind a recent New York Times blog citing research that HBCU graduates make less money than other college graduates. As the UNCF's president and CEO sees it, there's much value to be found at a black college.
by Harriette Cole onNovember 2, 2010
Contributing editor Harriette Cole visited Bennett College, one of two HBCUs for women, and found a college president fired up about educating today's young black woman.
by Deron Snyder onOctober 14, 2010
There's nothing unfair about Morehouse's dress code, but the furor surrounding a group of gay students at the school shows that many blacks have a long way to go toward accepting the LGBT community.
by Nsenga Burton onOctober 1, 2010
Riley argues that HBCUs were once a legitimate response to racism, but now they are academically inferior.
by Nsenga Burton onSeptember 20, 2010
Curtis Symonds is looking to launch an HBCU Network that showcases sports and other programming in 2011.
September 10, 2010
Barack Obama today issued a proclamation declaring next week, September 12 through September 18, 2010, National Historically Black Colleges and Universities Week.
by Aleesa Mann onJuly 30, 2010
Of course black-studies programs flourish at historically black colleges and universities, right? Wrong.
May 9, 2010
Black colleges and black stars get special attention at commencements this month.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
Sergio Garcia's insulting comment to Tiger Woods sparks a conversation on Twitter.
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Man Brutally Murdered In London, Possible Terror Attack
- Bill Cosby Becomes 1st Black Emmy Award Winner On This Day In 1966
- Lil Scrappy: I’m Addicted To Weed!
- Black Conspiracy Theory 101: Did The White Author Of ‘Black Like Me’ Die From Skin-Darkening?
- Golfer Makes Fried Chicken Joke About Tiger Woods