by Janelle Harris onSeptember 27, 2012
Clutch magazine's Janelle Harris admits that she never had any intention of going to a school that didn't remind her of A Different World.
August 26, 2012
Journal-isms: Hampton University's hair controversy may be old news, but it still touches a nerve.
by Mychal Denzel Smith onAugust 24, 2012
A years-old cornrow-and-dreadlock ban highlights a culture mired in the "politics of respectability."
by Nsenga Burton onNovember 30, 2010
The president of the prestigious HBCU takes Jason Riley to task for putting forth "biased, antiquated suppositions."
October 23, 2009
This week on The Confab -- The magic and myths surrounding HBCUs. Do black students really play lacrosse? Should the non-black Miss Hampton be dethroned? And why "you will always be historically black." Join The Root's Associate Editor Natalie Hopkinson as she talks with Copy Editor Erin Evans and The Root interns Eboni Farmer and Jada F. Smith.
* Podcast production by Abdullah Rufus.
* Podcast theme music by Timothy Morrison.
June 12, 2009
Since blaming Black people wasn't really an option, the reverend went with the next best thing...
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
A recent study shows that Facebook is being abandoned in large numbers.
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Cleveland Eateries Promise Charles Ramsey Free Burgers For Life
- 4 Americans Killed Since 2009 In US Drone Strikes
- Pope Francis: God Redeems Atheists For ‘Good Works,’ Christians Must Accept Non-Believers
- Funeral Program For Malcolm Shabazz Released
- Man Brutally Murdered In London, Possible Terror Attack