by Hillary Crosley onDecember 27, 2012
On the proclamation's birthday, read the stories and see rare photos of blacks at the dawn of freedom.
by Michael Shank onDecember 1, 2012
While Douglass' Cedar Hill home in Anacostia may perch prominently above Washington, D.C.'s highest heights, his life and his impact on President Lincoln were nowhere to be found in the film, The Root DC's Michael Shank points out.
by Hillary Crosley onSeptember 22, 2012
President Obama has signed a law proclaiming that the piece will sit in Emancipation Hall.
by Edward Wyckoff Williams onJuly 12, 2012
The Republican candidate panders to the NAACP, then insults black voters.
by Cynthia Gordy onJuly 4, 2012
From Malcolm X to Condoleezza Rice, these notables describe complicated relationships with the U.S.
by Cynthia Gordy onFebruary 22, 2012
What would famous moments from our past look like in 140 characters or less?
by Gary Lee onNovember 6, 2011
Retrace the steps to freedom many escaped slaves made to the North.
by Jack White onJuly 3, 2010
What would Frederick Douglass have to say about being black and American today?
by Tara Bynum onFebruary 15, 2010
The African-American story is not just activism and resistance.
by Kia C. Franklin onApril 27, 2009
Let's replace Ulysses S. Grant with an American who shows our best side.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
The graphic details documented by onlookers spread quickly on social media.
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Cleveland Eateries Promise Charles Ramsey Free Burgers For Life
- 4 Americans Killed Since 2009 In US Drone Strikes
- Pope Francis: God Redeems Atheists For ‘Good Works,’ Christians Must Accept Non-Believers
- Funeral Program For Malcolm Shabazz Released
- Man Brutally Murdered In London, Possible Terror Attack