by Les Payne onJune 28, 2010
Yes, James Earl Jones deserved his Tony for his role in Fences. But 23 years later, Washington brings a nuance and a subtlety to the role of Troy Maxson that we’ve never seen before.
by E.R. Shipp onJune 11, 2010
From Fela! to Fences, several productions featuring black performers are nominated for a record number of Tony Awards. But notwithstanding the power of Denzel, most Broadway audiences are overwhelmingly white.
by Dr. Todd Boyd onApril 26, 2010
There's a reason why there's never been an adaptation of an August Wilson play at the multiplex. When it comes to the lives of black folks, Hollywood--and the movie-going audience--doesn't do complicated, nuanced or subtle.
April 25, 2010
Score a triple for Denzel Washington and a home run for Viola Davis in the much-hyped--and expensive--production of August Wilson's most famous play.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
The singer constantly pushes the envelope with the pictures she shares, but is it all a gimmick?
Joshua Hornsby's daughter Ja'Nae, who was 9 years old, was among seven people found dead on Monday.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Chief Keef Threatens To ‘Slap The Sh*t’ Out Of Katy Perry
- Morgan Freeman Goes To Sleep During TV Interview [VIDEO]
- 12-Year-Old Girl Hangs Herself After Being Cyberbullied By Classmates
- Gunman Shoots Up Strip Club With AK-47 After DJ Refuses To Play Song
- No Surprise: Some GOP Foaming At Mouth For Obama Impeachment Amid ‘Scandals’