June 2, 2009
THE ROOT's recent article on "The Rise of The Black Hipster" certainly sparked a lively conversation on the web. My piece, which reported on the cultural appropriation of white hipster style by young black folks, and the similar theft of black street style by white folks, was more of a description than an argument. Walking the streets of my various cities, I wondered: What to make of the hybrid moment?
Richard Florida, Gawker, Murray Whyte and many others responded....
May 20, 2009
The urban dandy movement seems to have returned with a sexual identity component it didn’t have back in the 80s. The new hipster/dandy ethos mash-up has a racial and sexual ambiguity component that seems far less about self-expression and fashion but more about emasculating and homogenizing men of all colors, as if it’s not OK to just be hetero, without apology.
May 18, 2009
We've seen white hipsters for years now—but what makes a "blipster" tick? The Root takes a look at blipster style throughout history.
by Dayo Olopade onMay 18, 2009
Music, fashion and art are already complicating our ideas of youth, sex and identity. So what happens when the hybrid hipster culture hits black America?
April 27, 2009
Michelle Obama has been using her first 100 days as first lady to shape her personal image. Once pegged as a fist-bumping, angry black woman, Mrs. Obama has quieted critics with sweater sets and a smile. The former executive turned mom in chief has crafted a style that that blends high-end designs with off the rack options, garnering a 79 percent approval rating in the process. Take a look at how our new first lady has fashioned herself as the CEO of her own image.
by Delece Smith-Barrow onDecember 18, 2008
My jeans and club clothes had their place. I finally realized it's not in the office.
by Jennifer Mabry onDecember 18, 2008
A summer alert on the skimpy, the skanky and the scantily clad.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
The singer constantly pushes the envelope with the pictures she shares, but is it all a gimmick?
Joshua Hornsby's daughter Ja'Nae, who was 9 years old, was among seven people found dead on Monday.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Chief Keef Threatens To ‘Slap The Sh*t’ Out Of Katy Perry
- Morgan Freeman Goes To Sleep During TV Interview [VIDEO]
- 12-Year-Old Girl Hangs Herself After Being Cyberbullied By Classmates
- Gunman Shoots Up Strip Club With AK-47 After DJ Refuses To Play Song
- No Surprise: Some GOP Foaming At Mouth For Obama Impeachment Amid ‘Scandals’