by Cynthia Gordy onSeptember 30, 2011
As Obama's Promise Neighborhood idea gains ground, a local leader shares the trials and triumphs.
by Joel Dreyfuss onAugust 23, 2011
The former head of D.C. Public Schools wants to run a school system again one day -- and has no regrets.
by Michael Lomax onSeptember 21, 2010
D.C.'s outgoing mayor and his schools chancellor treated education reform as something to do to black people instead of with them. Reform advocates around the country should be taking notes on this local story with national implications.
by John McWhorter onSeptember 20, 2010
The ouster of Washington, D.C.'s mayor is a reminder that it's not enough to be a black politician. You have to convince black people that you really like them.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
Will Eric Holder consult journalists of color during the Justice Department's review?
These tweets will make you laugh -- and question the American educational system.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Parents Talk Leaving Chicago In Wake Of Mass School Closings
- Georgia Shoplifting Mom Runs Over 4-Year-Old Son, Child In Critical Condition
- D’aja Robinson: Suspect Questioned, Released In Shooting Death Of Queens, N.Y. Teen
- Ex-Bush Senior Adviser’s Son Accused Of Killing Man With Hatchet [VIDEO]
- Nurse Arrested For DUI In School Parking Lot [VIDEO]