by Nsenga Burton onMay 25, 2011
All but five Senate Republicans vote to change Medicare as we know it.
by Cynthia Gordy onMay 4, 2011
Congress's lone dissenting voter against the war in Afghanistan talks about the killing of bin Laden, and why she's a peace advocate but not a pacifist.
May 2, 2011
Nicole Venable is The Root's connection to the social and political scene inside the Beltway, offering commentary and exclusive photos from Washington's key events.
April 15, 2011
Congressional Black Caucus chair says the House votes reveal a moral compass that is “horribly off.”
by Cynthia Gordy onApril 5, 2011
With President Obama, historic gains were made in confronting racial differences in health care, but the GOP is threatening to roll them back. Here's a look at what's at stake.
by Erin E. Evans onApril 2, 2011
Know anyone looking for free money to go to school? Pass these on.
by Jenée Desmond-Harris onApril 1, 2011
Emanuel Cleaver says the black community has yet to reap the benefits of private-sector job growth.
March 17, 2011
The Congressional Black Caucus, which represents black federal lawmakers, is celebrating its 40th anniversary. Though it's too often taken for granted by Democrats, and some of its members have been scrutinized for ethics violations, the group has also taken bold political stands and enabled the passage of key legislation. Here, The Root takes a look back at pivotal moments and achievements in CBC history.
by Nsenga Burton onMarch 3, 2011
Rep. Emanuel Cleaver tells them to leave the Willie Lynch model of immigration reform at the door.
February 8, 2011
At President Obama's White house meeting with African-American public officials, details were slim -- and an agenda seemingly nonexistent.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
A recent study shows that Facebook is being abandoned in large numbers.
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Man Brutally Murdered In London, Possible Terror Attack
- Bill Cosby Becomes 1st Black Emmy Award Winner On This Day In 1966
- Lil Scrappy: I’m Addicted To Weed!
- Black Conspiracy Theory 101: Did The White Author Of ‘Black Like Me’ Die From Skin-Darkening?
- Golfer Makes Fried Chicken Joke About Tiger Woods