by Lewis Beale onMay 16, 2011
Fifty years ago a group of young people rode buses south and faced vicious, state-condoned brutality with nonviolence. Participants told The Root how they emerged bloodied, bruised and victorious.
May 12, 2011
The woman whose brutal 1944 assault inspired a national justice movement -- led courageously by Rosa Parks -- talked to The Root about finally getting a state apology.
by E.R. Shipp onDecember 19, 2010
It was never a powerful monolith but, rather, a wide range of groups with different styles and -- usually -- common goals. Many movement veterans say that approach could work again.
by Akoto Ofori-Atta onNovember 23, 2010
The noted Spelman College scholar and author talks to The Root about what Oprah should be doing, Michelle Obama and why the president is a feminist.
by Salamishah Tillet onOctober 15, 2010
The creators of Mad Men get so many things right in this period television series. Too bad they get black women so wrong.
by John McWhorter onSeptember 27, 2010
Black conservatives don't seem to hold back our progress, and teachable moments don't teach a whole lot.
by E.R. Shipp onSeptember 8, 2010
With even Glenn Beck staking a claim, visions of what Martin Luther King Jr. stood for can be wildly divergent.
by Lester K. Spence onSeptember 2, 2010
We have become so distrustful of the political process that we think marches and cultural transformations will solve our problems.
by Stanley Crouch onAugust 17, 2010
Stanley Nelson's new documentary, Freedom Riders, illuminates true profiles in courage. There was strength in pacifism.
by Maya Francis onMay 17, 2010
But are we letting our reverence for civil rights heroes limit our ability to tackle today’s challenges?
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
The singer constantly pushes the envelope with the pictures she shares, but is it all a gimmick?
Joshua Hornsby's daughter Ja'Nae, who was 9 years old, was among seven people found dead on Monday.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Chief Keef Threatens To ‘Slap The Sh*t’ Out Of Katy Perry
- Morgan Freeman Goes To Sleep During TV Interview [VIDEO]
- 12-Year-Old Girl Hangs Herself After Being Cyberbullied By Classmates
- Gunman Shoots Up Strip Club With AK-47 After DJ Refuses To Play Song
- No Surprise: Some GOP Foaming At Mouth For Obama Impeachment Amid ‘Scandals’