by Jade O. Earle onJuly 5, 2012
From YMCAs to clubs, here are stops from the segregation-era travel guide that are still around.
by Timmhotep Aku onJuly 5, 2012
The kid rapper's city is plagued by youth violence. Why would a music site film him at a gun range?
by Lynette Holloway onJuly 5, 2012
A girl named Heaven is one of the latest victims of the city's gang violence. When will it stop?
May 22, 2012
Journal-isms: The man fired after writing an inaccurate article about Tupac Shakur defends himself.
April 20, 2012
The actor and Clybourne Park producer hopes a play about race makes you laugh in an uncomfortable way.
by Claudio E. Cabrera onJanuary 26, 2012
The attack started over an interracial relationship between one attacker's female cousin and the victim.
by Edmund Newton onJanuary 13, 2012
One of the first black Marines, Theodore Peters, tells The Root why he still serves his community after all these years.
by Erin E. Evans onMay 14, 2011
After 16 years, these firefighters are finally getting what they deserve.
March 25, 2011
Safe Passage members patrol routes to and from school in dangerous neighborhoods.
February 25, 2011
After Carol Moseley Braun's defeat, state legislature veteran Ricky Hendon "can't take it anymore."
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
A recent study shows that Facebook is being abandoned in large numbers.
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- 4 Americans Killed Since 2009 In US Drone Strikes
- Pope Francis: God Redeems Atheists For ‘Good Works,’ Christians Must Accept Non-Believers
- Funeral Program For Malcolm Shabazz Released
- Man Brutally Murdered In London, Possible Terror Attack
- Bill Cosby Becomes 1st Black Emmy Award Winner On This Day In 1966