June 29, 2011
In a press conference, the president scolded (and laughed at) congressional Republicans for their "unsustainable position" on raising the federal debt limit.
June 2, 2011
A handy guide to what it means (and what it doesn't) to raise the federal debt limit.
June 1, 2011
The Missouri Democrat says that a call to deny funding for tornado-struck Joplin unless spending is cut elsewhere is shortsighted.
April 20, 2011
In a campaign-style dialogue, the president pitched health care, immigration reform and why he thinks young people should hit the polls in 2012.
April 15, 2011
Congressional Black Caucus chair says the House votes reveal a moral compass that is “horribly off.”
April 13, 2011
The speech, ripping apart the GOP budget proposal, was the strongest showing the president has had in a long time. But his plan's substance may not match his speech's fiery style.
April 8, 2011
In a last-minute deal on the 2011 federal budget, Planned Parenthood funding is safe, overall spending is drastically reduced -- and the government is still running.
by E.R. Shipp onFebruary 22, 2011
Black retirees and children are more dependent than other groups on Social Security, yet their voices are often unheard in the debate over reform.
November 9, 2010
An official in the office of Veterans Affairs today said that the VA is preparing for “leaner times.”
August 26, 2009
"As schools open their doors this month and next, closings and cutbacks at thousands of after-school programs nationwide have parents scrambling to make alternative arrangements..."
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
A study measures which countries share the most information online, with surprising results.
Her Bowie State speech could hint at a change of heart in the White House.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Precious Allen: Cincinnati Mother Accused Of Assaulting Daughter’s Classmate Sues School, Police
- Jay-Z On Beyonce Pregnancy Rumors: ‘It’s Not True’
- Huge Tornado Hits Oklahoma City Suburb, Kills 51
- Cali Doc Sentenced To 14 Years Prison Time Over Cancer Cure Scam
- Politicians Fume Over Bronx ‘Ghetto’ Bus Tours