by Janelle Harris onApril 19, 2013
Essence's Janelle Harris makes the case that corporal punishment that leaves welts and open sores is going to exacerbate the problems that exist and create some new ones, too.
October 29, 2012
A majority of Americans apparently don't like blacks. How is that possible in a postracial America?
January 9, 2012
African-American New Orleanians are calling a new law "the black code."
December 11, 2011
"This can't happen in America."
December 9, 2011
The civil rights activist's one-day 25-city rally on Friday exposed economic issues facing African Americans.
July 26, 2010
Less than 2 percent of the stories covered in U.S. media in 2009 concerned African Americans. The number one story? The arrest of our editor-in-chief.
June 21, 2010
William Saletan from Slate asks if gays are banned from giving blood, then why not blacks?
June 17, 2010
1940 law banning blacks and Asians from property ownership is still on the books.
by Michael A. Fletcher onMay 30, 2010
Unlike Vietnam, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have not accelerated the progress of African-Americans to the top ranks.
by Knolly Moses onMay 22, 2010
'Calypso and Chutney' politics could put a woman prime minister in power in this energy-rich Caribbean nation.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
A recent study shows that Facebook is being abandoned in large numbers.
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Man Brutally Murdered In London, Possible Terror Attack
- Bill Cosby Becomes 1st Black Emmy Award Winner On This Day In 1966
- Lil Scrappy: I’m Addicted To Weed!
- Black Conspiracy Theory 101: Did The White Author Of ‘Black Like Me’ Die From Skin-Darkening?
- Golfer Makes Fried Chicken Joke About Tiger Woods