by Jenée Desmond-Harris onJuly 9, 2012
A poll finds racial and gender gaps in religiosity. We're not shocked. But the interesting question is, why?
by Akiba Solomon onJune 28, 2012
Akiba Solomon, writing at ColorLines, says that the antics of the women on VH1's infamous reality series aren't humiliating; rather, they're part of a sad story about the economic exploitation that takes place in the entertainment industry.
by Brett Johnson onJune 15, 2012
Updated: Erica Kennedy was found dead in her home on June 11, Miami Beach police told The Root.
by Demetria L. Lucas onJune 7, 2012
Ask Demetria: Pass on playing house until you're sure the relationship -- and you -- can handle it.
by Janelle Harris onMay 12, 2012
Essence's Janelle Harris says that the list of musts for black women is a little different from the standard one that's been circulating on the internet. Hers includes a favorite hair product and "peace about being different."
by Nathan Hale Williams onMay 9, 2012
Essence's Nathan Hale Williams says he's tired of Basketball Wives-type antics and brawls on reality television -- but also in real life -- between high-powered, highly educated black women.
by Helena Andrews onMay 3, 2012
Single-Minded: This hair wrap takes away African-American women's last good excuse for avoiding the gym.
January 24, 2012
Journal-isms: The "Black Women in America" series dominated the front page of Monday's Washington Post.
by Nsenga K. Burton, Ph.D. onJanuary 12, 2012
The impact of stereotypical images of black women is felt worldwide.
by Salamishah Tillet onAugust 4, 2011
Grown and sexy: The director's daring film changed the game in Hollywood -- and assumptions about black women's sexuality.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The "no shame in my game" judge gets put on trial for misconduct.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Panel: Apple Uses Firms Outside U.S. To Avoid Taxes
- Chokwe Lumumba: Former Lawyer For Tupac & Assata Shakur Wins Jackson, Miss. Mayoral Primary Race
- Teachers Credited With Saving Students In Okla.
- Chief Keef Arrested On Weed Possession Charge
- GOP Strategist Raynard Jackson Challenges President Obama, ‘Black Elite’ [OPINION]