by Demetria L. Lucas onFebruary 28, 2013
Responding in a piece for Clutch magazine to recent headlines highlighting disrespect toward black women, The Root's contributing editor Demetria L. Lucas offers some remedial guidelines for potential line crossers.
by Shannon Washington onSeptember 27, 2012
Shannon Washington laments at Parlour magazine that her blowout -- which is all about versatility, not European beauty standards -- seems to have earned her a citation from the "natural-hair police."
by Demetria L. Lucas onSeptember 20, 2012
Ask Demetria: Your look is fine; it's your dating approach that may need a relaxer.
July 27, 2012
News anchor Frank Somerville's photo of himself taking out his daughter's braids inspired a huge response. "To me the picture shows a dad doing what a dad should do, and loving every minute of it," he says.
May 1, 2012
This celebrity trainer says that black people need to put health before image and hair.
by Kaneisha Grayson onApril 28, 2012
Writing for Clutch magazine, Kaneisha Grayson confesses that, nine years after giving up on having hair like Aaliyah's, she's still not that passionate about the natural "revolution."
by Dantel Proctor onMarch 30, 2012
Writing at MadameNoire, Dantel Proctor says she's happy that natural hair is celebrated, but she wouldn't mind a little support for her own, different, choice.
by Thembi Ford onMarch 27, 2012
Thembi Ford writes at Clutch magazine that she's tired of strangers who find her hair exotic and think it's OK to treat her "like a stuffed animal."
December 22, 2011
In today's link roundup: Research says that more black women went natural this year. Plus: Roots 35 Years Later to air on OWN.
October 10, 2011
When a club promoter favors natural-haired women, do we all pay the price?
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
The singer constantly pushes the envelope with the pictures she shares, but is it all a gimmick?
Joshua Hornsby's daughter Ja'Nae, who was 9 years old, was among seven people found dead on Monday.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Chief Keef Threatens To ‘Slap The Sh*t’ Out Of Katy Perry
- Morgan Freeman Goes To Sleep During TV Interview [VIDEO]
- 12-Year-Old Girl Hangs Herself After Being Cyberbullied By Classmates
- Gunman Shoots Up Strip Club With AK-47 After DJ Refuses To Play Song
- No Surprise: Some GOP Foaming At Mouth For Obama Impeachment Amid ‘Scandals’