by Nana Ekua Brew-Hammond onFebruary 9, 2013
Nana Ekua Brew-Hammond explains in a piece for Ebony why models and designers of color continue to struggle even though black personalities top fashion's "it" list.
by Tricia Elam onSeptember 11, 2012
A new film looks at the iconic French fashion show when 11 black models tore down the house.
by Nsenga Burton onJune 20, 2011
The international model and humanitarian gets tapped by L'Oréal.
March 30, 2011
Desert Flower explores the inspirational story of Waris Dirie, a Somalian native who escapes marriage at 13 to become an international supermodel.
by Harriette Cole onSeptember 10, 2010
There's been a lot of Sturm und Drang lately about the underrepresentation of black folks in the industry, including a silent protest on opening day. But inside the tents, it was a different story. Is change afoot?
May 13, 2010
The recent misfortunes of models Beverly Peele and Noemie Lenoir are a sad reminder that a model's life can be a tough one-even more so for models of color. The Root takes a look at the careers of some of fashion's brightest stars.
October 15, 2009
I’m not sure what to make of the French Vogue fashion shoot that features model Lara Stone—she of the pale complexion—covered in black makeup. But one thing is certain: I’m not angry.
August 31, 2009
Naomi Campbell on how the recession has made designers even more reluctant to employ models of color.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The "no shame in my game" judge gets put on trial for misconduct.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Panel: Apple Uses Firms Outside U.S. To Avoid Taxes
- Chokwe Lumumba: Former Lawyer For Tupac & Assata Shakur Wins Jackson, Miss. Mayoral Primary Race
- Teachers Credited With Saving Students In Okla.
- Chief Keef Arrested On Weed Possession Charge
- GOP Strategist Raynard Jackson Challenges President Obama, ‘Black Elite’ [OPINION]