February 11, 2011
This week on the Confab: Join Managing Editor Joel Dreyfuss as he chats with Washington reporter Cynthia Gordy and contributors Sunni Khalid and Frank McCoy about race relations in Egypt, a forgotten horror of the Jim Crow South and the state of black businesses.
by Frank McCoy onFebruary 8, 2011
A lack of capital and connections still hampers success for African-American entrepreneurs.
February 7, 2011
The U.S. Census report on minority-owned businesses issued on Feb. 8 showed healthy growth. There are plenty of role models for those who aspire to own their own. The companies profiled here were drawn from last year's Black Enterprise 100 Industrial/Service list. Their CEOs are entrepreneurial descendants of black business pioneers.
by Washington Post onDecember 7, 2010
The recession and hair trends mean increased competition and less business for black-owned hair salons.
by Jon Jeter onSeptember 13, 2010
In the second of a three-part series profiling the nation's capital, The Root takes a look at who really holds the purse strings in the rapidly gentrifying (and not-so) Chocolate City.
by Chana Garcia onMarch 16, 2010
Plus, the obese go hungry in the South Bronx, Chicago foreclosures, MJ's afterlife payday, and more
by Dayo Olopade onFebruary 7, 2010
January’s employment numbers are encouraging—and the White House hopes new support for small business will turn the tide.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
The singer constantly pushes the envelope with the pictures she shares, but is it all a gimmick?
Joshua Hornsby's daughter Ja'Nae, who was 9 years old, was among seven people found dead on Monday.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Chief Keef Threatens To ‘Slap The Sh*t’ Out Of Katy Perry
- Morgan Freeman Goes To Sleep During TV Interview [VIDEO]
- 12-Year-Old Girl Hangs Herself After Being Cyberbullied By Classmates
- Gunman Shoots Up Strip Club With AK-47 After DJ Refuses To Play Song
- No Surprise: Some GOP Foaming At Mouth For Obama Impeachment Amid ‘Scandals’