by Zaheer Ali onJanuary 6, 2011
The seminal TV show rode a wave of black achievement to challenge racial stereotypes. But Katie Couric's well-intentioned statements to the contrary, American Muslims will need more than a situation comedy to counter Islamophobia.
by Martin Johnson onAugust 26, 2010
The memoirist-philanthropist-TV producer talks about her debut novel, Bill Cosby, Lena Horne and the philanthropic life.
by John McWhorter onNovember 2, 2009
What makes a book worth Oprah's time? John McWhorter flags the strongest, smartest writing on race that slipped through the cracks. Somehow.
by Jozen Cummings onOctober 19, 2009
Minus social commentary, the Cos is old-fashioned funny.
September 25, 2009
Dr. Sut Jhally talks about his study on “The Cosby Show,” Cosby’s deal with white America and Obama’s “inner Huxtable.”
September 20, 2009
Clair Huxtable came into my life in 1984, my junior year of high school. And from that moment forward, she was a role model for me and all I aspired to be: a wife, a mom, a successful attorney and a well-poised, fabulously dressed, attractive black woman.
September 18, 2009
“The Cosby Show” was activist television, agitprop theater disguised as sitcom.
by Dayo Olopade onSeptember 18, 2009
A “fan” of what he calls “The Obama Show,” the Cos says if you can’t be a doctor, at least be an electrician.
by Dayo Olopade onSeptember 17, 2009
Part II of The Root’s exclusive interview with Bill Cosby.
September 17, 2009
Did Cliff, Clair and the kids change America even more than they changed television?
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The "no shame in my game" judge gets put on trial for misconduct.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Ga. Woman Allegedly Stabs Stepdad Multiple Times
- Homeless Teen Graduates At Top Of Her High School Class
- Panel: Apple Uses Firms Outside U.S. To Avoid Taxes
- Chokwe Lumumba: Former Lawyer For Tupac & Assata Shakur Wins Jackson, Miss. Mayoral Primary Race
- Teachers Credited With Saving Students In Okla.