by Brett Johnson onJanuary 3, 2013
From Rita Dove's poetry to James Baldwin's essays, this author picks the titles that most inspire her.
by Brett Johnson onDecember 27, 2012
From Roots to Django Unchained, here are the best and worst attempts at depicting our shackled past.
by Gary Dauphin onOctober 30, 2012
Arranged by category, these films were made to spook the bejesus out of you this Halloween.
October 29, 2010
For Colored Girls, Tyler Perry's adaptation of Ntozake Shange's famous play, has been met with resistance from fans of the choreopoem. But it's not the first celebrated written work-turned-movie that critics feel should have been left alone.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Porsha Stewart Locked Out By Husband Kordell?
- Activists Cornel West And Carl Dix Hold Mass Incarceration Dialogue In N.Y.C.
- Detroit Mom Says 4 Women Attacked Her In Front Of Her Children
- UPDATE: 9-Year-Old Girl Who Went Missing After Oklahoma Tornado Found Dead
- Christopher ‘Notorious B.I.G.’ Wallace Would Have Been 41 Today