December 2, 2011
Blogging the Beltway: The Obama administration thinks so, issuing new guidelines supporting school diversity programs.
by Sherrilyn A. Ifill onOctober 29, 2010
The far right's obsession with the New Black Panther Party is part of a broader campaign to prevent the U.S. Justice Department from protecting minorities from discrimination.
by David Swerdlick onAugust 25, 2010
King supported labor unions and affirmative action -- and he would have voted for Barack Obama.
by Terence Samuel onJuly 27, 2010
Virginia Senator Jim Webb urges an end to government diversity programs, saying that they hurt deserving whites and benefit people not entitled to them. This is a debate we should have, but can we?
July 23, 2010
With Democrats like this, who needs Republicans?
June 28, 2010
The National Bar Association has refrained from endorsing Kagan over her views on affirmative action, racial profiling and immigration.
by John McWhorter onNovember 2, 2009
What makes a book worth Oprah's time? John McWhorter flags the strongest, smartest writing on race that slipped through the cracks. Somehow.
July 31, 2009
Why white women are the real winners in affirmative action.
July 16, 2009
THE ROOT recently ran a story about why failed, racist Republican politician turned commentator, Pat Buchanan—the devil we know—is better than the devil we don’t. Adam Serwer argued...
July 5, 2009
Few folks on appear hot or bothered over the Supreme Court's recent assault on once untouchable relics of the civil rights movement. When pointing out the SCOTUS decision on Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act or the infamous reverse remix known as Ricci v. DeStefano, most folks look at you in a spat of bewildered angst: "Your point is?"...
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
The agency's missteps give the GOP a new way to fight the Affordable Care Act.
A study measures which countries share the most information online, with surprising results.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Precious Allen: Cincinnati Mother Accused Of Assaulting Daughter’s Classmate Sues School, Police
- Jay-Z On Beyonce Pregnancy Rumors: ‘It’s Not True’
- Huge Tornado Hits Oklahoma City Suburb, Kills 51
- Cali Doc Sentenced To 14 Years Prison Time Over Cancer Cure Scam
- Politicians Fume Over Bronx ‘Ghetto’ Bus Tours