January 20, 2011
The Haitian Amputee Mothers Alliance was founded last year to provide treatment for women who lost limbs in the Jan. 12, 2010, earthquake. The nonprofit Village of Vision for Haiti Foundation founded the community of Lamardelle, where it provides women with support, treatment and artificial limbs. The photos are by Sandra Wong Geroux, a photographer who documented efforts to get the women, some of whom must continue to care for children, back to normal lives.
July 13, 2010
Tired of hearing all of the bad news in Haiti, a reporter uncovers the good news that is happening there.
by Theola Labbé-DeBose onMay 6, 2010
As a journalist who'd covered war, I got a kick out of rushing into danger. But would reporting on the earthquake hurt my unborn baby? Could I be a mother and a journalist, too?
by Rose-Anne Clermont onMarch 29, 2010
While the focus of the media has been on international humanitarian aid, many Haitian Americans have dropped everything to go lend a hand.
by Robert Fatton Jr. onFebruary 1, 2010
The disastrous earthquake provides an opportunity to create a more democratic Haiti with a strong government.
by J. Phil Thompson onJanuary 25, 2010
One lesson from Katrina is to make sure that those who want to help Haiti have the right motives.
January 19, 2010
An LA search and rescue team pulls a Haitian woman from the rubble...
by Robert Pierre onJanuary 15, 2010
There’s a lot that Haiti can learn from Katrina’s atrocities. Let’s not make the same mistakes twice.
by Charlayne Hunter-Gault onJanuary 14, 2010
A lesson in faith that could help Haiti.
by Natalie Hopkinson onJanuary 14, 2010
Buck the colonial world order, and the powers that be won’t soon forget.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
Sergio Garcia's insulting comment to Tiger Woods sparks a conversation on Twitter.
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Man Brutally Murdered In London, Possible Terror Attack
- Bill Cosby Becomes 1st Black Emmy Award Winner On This Day In 1966
- Lil Scrappy: I’m Addicted To Weed!
- Black Conspiracy Theory 101: Did The White Author Of ‘Black Like Me’ Die From Skin-Darkening?
- Golfer Makes Fried Chicken Joke About Tiger Woods