Trayvon Martin, the Latest: Week 17
Friday, June 29, 10:10 a.m. EDT: Zimmerman attends second bail hearing in bulletproof vest and asks to get out on bond again: George Zimmerman, 28, appeared in court this morning at a bail hearing without the shackles he wore in his last appearance, but the outlines of a bulletproof vest under his gray suit was clearly visible, ABC News reports. He faces the prospect of a prolonged stay in jail if his plea to get out on bond is rejected. The Washington Post explains that the judge will weigh several factors, including whether George Zimmerman is a threat to the community, a flight risk and, maybe most important, whether Zimmerman can persuade the judge he will not be deceptive again.
Thursday, June 28, 10:00 a.m.: Zimmerman failed to show up in previous court case, was fined $10,000: Among attorney Mark O'Mara's arguments that George Zimmerman should be freed on bond for the second time is that he isn't a flight risk or a danger to the community; nor does he have any history of failing to appear at court proceedings. But Zimmerman was once fined $10,000 in a federal civil lawsuit because he was a no-show at his own deposition, the Miami Herald reports.
Tuesday, June 27, 9:30 a.m. EDT: Investigators say Zimmerman didn't ID himself as neighborhood-watch leader: Murder defendant George Zimmerman could have defused the deadly confrontation with Trayvon Martin if he had identified himself as a member of neighborhood watch, the Washington Post reports.
Tuesday, June 26, 5:17 p.m. EDT: Detective: Trayvon never used deadly force: Prosecutors released another batch of evidence in the George Zimmerman murder trial Tuesday, including a statement from the lead detective that shows the investigator doubted the shooter's story, even though he passed two lie-detector tests, the Miami Herald reports. Records released Tuesday show that Sanford Police Detective Chris Serino said Zimmerman's injuries were only "marginally consistent with a life-threatening violent episode described by him, during which neither a deadly weapon nor deadly force was deployed by Trayvon Martin."
Tuesday, June 26, 9:50 a.m. EDT: George Zimmerman "accepts full responsibility" for misleading judge: George Zimmerman "accepts full responsibility" for misleading the judge about his finances, his lawyer said in a motion requesting that a "reasonable bond" be set for his release from jail, CNN reports. He was ordered back to jail earlier this month when the judge who set his bond in April revoked it, citing the misrepresentation of about $150,000 in donations in an account controlled by Zimmerman that he had not disclosed at the April 20 bond hearing.
Monday, June 25, 2:43 p.m. EDT: Lawyer says Zimmerman is no threat, should be released: George Zimmerman's attorney says the neighborhood-watch volunteer poses no threat to the community and should be released a second time on bail. The attorney asked in a motion released on Monday that Zimmerman be granted bond for a second time as he awaits trial on a second-degree-murder charge for fatally shooting 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, the Associated Press reports.
Monday, June 25, 2:25 p.m. EDT: Martin family responds to firing of police chief: Trayvon Martin's family is satisfied with Wednesday's firing of Sanford, Fla., police Chief Bill Lee, according to Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump, the Huffington Post reports. "The parents of Trayvon Martin respect the decision of the city manager," Crump said. "They remain vigilant in getting justice for their son and the tragedy that claimed his life."
Read last week's updates on the Trayvon Martin case here.
Read all of The Root's news and commentary about the Trayvon Martin case here.