A woman holds a sign that reads “Bring Back Our Girls” during a protest outside the Nigeria House in London on May 9, 2014. 
Dan Kitwood/Getty Images

Boko Haram, the Islamist terrorist group responsible for the kidnapping of more than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls in April, is suspected in the kidnapping of another 25 girls from a remote town in northeastern Nigerian, despite reports of a ceasefire deal that included the release of the girls taken earlier this year.

According to Reuters, John Kwaghe, who witnessed the attack, claims that the abductors came late in the night and took his three daughters. A woman confirmed Kwaghe's account and told the news site that she lost two daughters in the attack.  

Advertisement

If reports are correct, then the recent kidnappings cast doubt on what was initially reported as a ceasefire between rebels and the government that was also supposed to secure the release of the more than 200 schoolgirls who have been at the center of a celebrity-backed social media campaign, #BringBackOurGirls, Reuters reports.

"We are confused that hours after the so-called ceasefire agreement has been entered between the federal government and Boko Haram insurgents, our girls were abducted by the insurgents," Kwaghe told Reuters.

According to Reuters, secret talks have been taking place for some weeks now "between the government and a Boko Haram representative in the Chadian capital, N'Djamena." The government initially announced a ceasefire deal with Boko Haram, but parents of the captured girls began to grow wary as days went on with no sign of the girls' being freed.

Advertisement

"We urge the government to please help rescue our daughters without further delay, as we are ready to die searching," Kwaghe told Reuters.

Read more at Reuters.