6. Sharpton demands Cartoon Network to apologize for an episode of the Boondocks cartoon lampooning Martin Luther King Jr. The network gives the worst half-apology ever, which Sharpton does not accept.
7. TV bounty hunter Duane “Dog” Chapman begs Sharpton to forgive him for calling his son’s girlfriend an “effing ni-gger.” Sharpton does not grant absolution, A&E removes Dog’s show from the schedule for a year. He is back, currently in his sixth ass-kicking season.
8. Al Sharpton demands that Isiah Thomas apologize to black women everywhere for inappropriate comments he allegedly made to a co-worker. Thomas gets hit with the largest sexual harassment suit in history. No apology given.
9. Michael “Cosmo Kramer” Richards, after losing it during a comedy gig and calling a black patron a “nigger,” seeks the advice and forgiveness of Al Sharpton. Sharpton does not accept his apology, KKKramer leaves for Cambodia to find himself.
10. Shock editorial cartoonist Sean Delonas draws a toon for the New York Post with cops shooting down a chimp, and many see some veiled reference to President Barack Obama. Many do not. Sharpton, a favorite target of Delonas’, does, and calls for an apology. Apologies are issued. Sharpton remains unsatisfied. As the newspaper business takes a last spin around the toilet bowl, Sharpton calls for more diversity in the newsroom. And not a moment too soon.
Whereas you or I would gladly accept a sweet roll, a nice card or perhaps a cookie card as a sufficient sorry, Sharpton is not inclined to give or accept such tokens, which strikes me. Why does the Rev. Sharpton never admit to being wrong, and why does he ask for apologies he has no intention of accepting? Maybe forgiveness doesn’t pay as well.
Jimi Izrael blogs for The Root on The Hardline.