The FBI has “scheduled a forensic interview” on Tuesday with the 12-year-old Detroit boy who was found in his own basement after going missing for more than a week, Fox News reports.
“Based on the outcome of this interview, the Detroit Police Department may be submitting a package to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office as early as Wednesday afternoon,” local police revealed in a statement.
Police spokeswoman Jennifer Moreno stressed that the interview wasn’t going to involve a polygraph test but would be more of a “kid’s talk” with Charlie Bothuell V, whose bizarre disappearance and discovery caught the nation’s attention. Morenotold also emphasized that the case was still in the hands of the state and had not been handed over to federal authorities, Fox notes.
Little Charlie went missing early last month and was feared dead after he did not turn up for about 10 days. Police had searched for him, only to find him Wednesday in the basement of his own condo building.
The boy reportedly told the authorities that his stepmother, Monique Dillard-Bothuell, had sent him down there and told him “not to come out, no matter what he heard,” the Detroit Free Press reported, according to Fox.
“Charlie is currently staying with relatives,” a police statement noted. “His stepmother and father have been granted supervised visitation by the state.”
Read more at Fox News.