The tug-of-war between Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling and the NBA may finally be over, with the Associated Press reporting late Wednesday that Sterling would sign off on selling the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for a reported $2 billion.
The agreement has not become official as Sterling has yet to actually sign documents, but his attorney Maxwell Blecher told AP that he “has made an agreement with the NBA to resolve all their differences.”
The announcement that Sterling would agree to sell the team comes after weeks of reports that Sterling was digging in for a long battle against the NBA which banned the Clippers owner for life after racist remarks made by Sterling were leaked to the news. Just last week, Sterling’s attorneys filed a $1 billion suit against the NBA alleging that the ban and a $2.5 million fine violated Sterling’s constitutional rights. Blecher told AP that the new agreement for Sterling to sell the team means that the lawsuit will be dismissed.
AP reports that representatives for Sterling’s wife, Shelly Sterling, and the NBA declined to comment.
Read more at the Associated Press.