Father’s Day weekend was unusually bloody in Chicago with a reported 27 people shot, two fatally, NBC Chicago reports. The string of shootings, which police have not confirmed are related, began Friday, and the last reported shooting was just after midnight Monday. That shooting involved a 17-year-old on the West Side who police say was standing in a group. He was shot in the head and died later at a local hospital, NBC Chicago reports.
In addition, according to police, just after midnight Friday, a dark-colored sedan opened fire on a 28-year-old man on the West Side. He was struck in the back and later was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital.
Details surrounding all of the weekend shootings were incomplete, but it was noted that nine victims were wounded within hours of each other. According to NBC Chicago, all nine of the shootings, described below, happened between Saturday afternoon and early Sunday morning.
- At 2:45 p.m. Saturday, the news site reports that a 38-year-old man was shot in the buttocks in the 400 block of West 118th Street. He was in stable condition.
- At the same time, a 22-year-old man was shot in the leg in the 1600 block of South Indiana Avenue. He was listed in stable condition, police told NBC Chicago.
- Around 10:50 p.m. Saturday, a 33-year-old man who was standing on the sidewalk near 57th Street and Racine Avenue was shot when a light-colored truck drove by and fired shots, police told the news station. He was listed in critical condition.
- Twenty minutes later, a 23-year-old man was reportedly shot in the leg in the 2900 block of South Poplar Avenue. He was listed in serious condition.
- Around 2:30 a.m. Sunday, someone approached a car and opened fire on two men sitting inside the vehicle, which was parked in the 1700 block of West 18th Place. The two men were both taken to the hospital. “One man was shot in the side and is listed in serious condition. The other man was shot in the shoulder and is listed in good condition,” the news station reports.
- Just before 3 a.m. Sunday, police said a 21-year-old woman was shot in the knee near Lyndale and Sacramento avenues. The woman was taken to the hospital and her condition was unknown.
- Around 4 a.m. Sunday, a 37-year-old man was shot in the elbow and back while walking along the 9300 block of South Greenwood Avenue. According to police, the man was walking home and did not hear or see anything before he realized he had been shot. His condition was unknown.