CBS Cancels The Arsenio Hall Show Amid Ratings Struggle

“The series did not grow its audience enough to continue,” CBSTVD said in a statement Friday.

Posted:
 
photobyarseniohall
Arsenio Hall

Instagram

Arsenio Hall, who made history in the early 1990s as the first African-American late night TV talk show host, announced Friday on social media that his new show had been canceled after the first season.

The move comes even after CBS Television said in February that it had renewed the The Arsenio Hall show for a second season, the report says, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

“Unfortunately, The Arsenio Hall Show will not return for a second season; while there are many loyal fans of the show, the series did not grow its audience enough to continue,” CBSTVD said in a statement Friday, according to the Hollywood Reporter. “Arsenio is a tremendous talent and we’d like to thank him for all the hard work and energy he put into the show. We’d also like to thank Tribune and all our station group partners for their support of the show.”

Hall returned to the air last fall after a nearly 20-year hiatus. He faced a crowded field, including Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live and CBS' Late Show With David Letterman.

Read more at the Hollywood Reporter.

Comments
The Root encourages respectful debate and dialogue in our commenting community. To improve the commenting experience for all our readers we will be experimenting with some new formats over the next few weeks. During this transition period the comments section will be unavailable to users.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your continued support of The Root.

While we are experimenting, please feel free to leave feedback below about your past experiences commenting at The Root.