Michael Dunn’s Fate and National Debate Rest in Jury’s Hands

With the first full day of jury deliberations under way, the 47-year-old who fired nine bullets into a SUV carrying three unarmed teens awaits his fate.  


Loud music blared from the red Dodge Durango parked at the gas station.

Dunn would testify that he called the music “rap crap” to his fiancee. “His blood started to boil; he didn’t like the music that was coming out of the car next to him; he got angrier and angrier,” Wolfson said.

Dunn claims that he rolled down his window and asked the teens to turn down the volume. They did. Then, they turned it back up, Wolfson said. “He got angry at the fact that a 17-year-old kid decided not to listen to him,” she said.

She added that Dunn then pulled a 9 mm gun out of his glove box and shot “systematically and methodically” at the SUV: “Nobody denied that Jordan was talking back. But this defendant took it upon himself to silence Jordan Davis forever.”

On Tuesday Dunn testified that he saw Jordan reach down and pick something up. He claimed he saw “four inches of a barrel” from a 12- or 20-gauge shotgun above the window.

“You’re not going to kill me,” Dunn claimed he said to himself, and then louder, “You’re not going to kill me, you son of a bitch!” Dunn told jurors that he opened the glove compartment, grabbed his pistol, dropped the holster at his feet, chambered a round and began firing, CNN reports.

Nine of the 10 shots fired hit the SUV and three bullets struck Jordan, with one of them cutting through his liver, his lung and his aorta.

Dunn’s defense lawyer, Cory Strolla, fought back, claiming that no witnesses testified that they heard Dunn using any hate words, because he didn’t. He also noted that Dunn and his fiancee had just left a wedding, where, his ex-wife testified, he had appeared to be in a good mood, CNN reports.

Strolla noted that the SUV left the gas station directly after the shooting for three minutes before it returned, which would have been more than enough time for the youths to have dumped a gun.

Since the detectives didn’t secure the area upon arrival and didn’t search the surrounding area until days later, the weapon that Dunn claimed he saw could have easily been disposed of, Strolla said.