Michael Dunn’s Fate and National Debate Rest in Jury’s Hands

With the first full day of jury deliberations under way, the 47-year-old who fired nine bullets into a SUV carrying three unarmed teens awaits his fate.  


The fate of Michael Dunn, the 47-year-old man who pumped nine bullets into a parked SUV carrying three teenagers and killing 17-year-old Jordan Davis, lies with a Florida jury.

On the first full day of jury deliberations in the first-degree-murder charges against Dunn, the jury has asked to see a foam mannequin used as a visual aid to show where the teenager was struck, after an argument about the volume of the music coming from the vehicle in which Jordan was sitting, ABC News reports.  

Also at stake for the jury of seven woman and four men is a potential national debate, since many see this shooting as the second time a Florida man has murdered an unarmed teenage black boy.

Dunn is being charged with first-degree murder for the November 2013 shooting, which could result in a life sentence. The jury has also been instructed that they can consider lesser charges including second-degree murder, manslaughter, justifiable homicide or excusable homicide, ABC News reports. 

Wednesday during closing arguments prosecutors said there were several inconsistencies between Dunn’s words and actions that night in November when he opened fire on the SUV.

CNN reports that Assistant State Attorney Erin Wolfson told jurors that Dunn fired 10 shots at the vehicle, three of them while the car was fleeing. She stressed the point that Dunn never took cover—but instead opened his car door—even though he would later tell detectives that he had seen a weapon, CNN reports.

Most importantly, “There was no gun,” Wolfson told jurors.

She added that Dunn didn’t tell his fiancee, Rhonda Rouer, that he had seen a gun until more than a month later, CNN reports.

Wolfson also pointed out that Dunn not only left the scene of the fatal shooting but went back to the hotel where he and his fiancee were staying and walked his dog.

The next morning, Dunn drove more than two hours away from the incident to return home even after having seen reports on the news the night before, never calling 911, Wolfson said, CNN reports. “This defendant didn’t tell anyone because he thought he had gotten away with murder,” she said. She also added that Dunn had no idea that a witness had taken down his tag number, CNN reports.