When Misspellings Mar Your Ancestry Search

Tracing Your Roots: Ways to deal with records that show variations in the spelling of a family name.

(Continued from Page 1)

Narrowing Down the Possibilities

Knowing these limitations, there are some tips and tricks you can use that will help you avoid some of these pitfalls. If you are searching census records and your ancestor has a somewhat unique given name, try searching just using the person's first name, date and place of birth. This will return results where the surname is spelled completely wrong or recorded incorrectly. You can use other clues, such as other known family members or occupation to help verify that you did in fact find a record of your ancestors with the surname spelled wrong.

If you have an idea of where your ancestor lived but you are not finding them when you search for them in census collections, you might try browsing each record page by page until you find a possible record of your family based on the given names and ages of the family members.

If you do find a census record that seems to be a record of your ancestor, but you are still not sure, you can use other clues from the nearby census pages to help you confirm. You can also ask questions such as: Are the names and birthdates of the children and siblings similar to the family you are researching? Are there any other known siblings or parents living nearby? The more information you find about the people in each of these potential records of your ancestors, the more you will be able to piece together the parts of their lives to confirm whether or not these records with incorrect spelling are in fact for your ancestors.

Newspapers and city directories are other sources that can help you confirm a misspelled document. For example, the 1900 Huntsville, Ala., directory may show that a John Hereford lived at 123 Main Street, while the census shows that John Heriford lived at 123 Main Street. With these two records, you can deduce that there was probably a spelling error in at least one of the documents.

You can also use the information you find in the census records to try to trace the person forward to determine whether or not you have found a record of your ancestor. Let's say, hypothetically, you find a man named John Heriford in the 1910 census. According to this record, he was born in 1860 in Alabama, married to a 38-year-old woman named Jane and working as a laborer.

You then search for records of this man in the 1920 U.S. Federal Census, and you find a John Hurford who was 49 years old, born in Alabama, working as a laborer and living with his wife, Jane. In all likelihood, these are probably records of the same person, but from your own family records you have an old death certificate that shows that your ancestor John Hereford, of the same age and birthplace, died in 1918. Given this, you know that the record from 1910 is probably not a record of your ancestor because this same person is still alive in 1920.


Once you understand the challenges of working with documents that have variations in spelling of names, you can begin to search for earlier records of your ancestors. You know that your Hereford family was in the Huntsville area as early as 1900, so the next step in your research is to determine whether or not they moved to Huntsville or if they were there much earlier.

If you are unable to go back any further in your census record research, you can also expand your research by searching for the history of the Hereford surname in Huntsville. Was there are a large plantation or slaveholder whose surname was also Hereford before the Civil War? Were there relatively few African-American families with the surname Hereford in Huntsville until the 1900s?