The Lone Gunman of Navy Yard Shooting

The 34-year-old former Navy reservist is dead. His motive is still unclear.

Posted:
 
aaron20alexis_shooter_sept17_575
Aaron Alexis (FBI via Getty Images)

UPDATED Tuesday, Sept. 17, 10:17 a.m. EDT: According to the New York Times, Aaron Alexis, a black 34-year-old former Navy reservist, was the lone gunman who killed at least 12 people in a shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday. Law-enforcement officials are trying to piece together what motivated Alexis, now dead. Navy officials said he had been working as a military subcontractor. Alexis had been arrested at least twice for weapons violations and was given an honorable discharge from the military in January 2011 after he applied for an early discharge. Navy officials and family members say he exhibited a "pattern of misbehavior" and had "anger-management problems."

UPDATED Monday, Sept. 16, 3:17 p.m. EDT: According to the Washington Post, city officials said that one of the two suspected shooters described by Police Chief Cathy Lanier in an earlier press conference has "been located and cleared" of any wrongdoing. Officials are still looking for a potential gunman described as a black man in his 40s.

Earlier:

On Monday, up to three shooters dressed in military-style clothing opened fire on civilians and law-enforcement officials at the Washington Navy Yard in the nation's capital, the Washington Post reports. At least 12 people -- one of them a shooter -- are confirmed dead, and a number are wounded.

Public schools in the vicinity of the Navy base have been placed on lockdown, and flights leaving from Reagan National Airport were temporarily delayed. Local police have also beefed up security at the Capitol. After expressing his condolences for the victims of the shooting, President Barack Obama said he wants "the investigation to be seamless so that local and federal authorities are working together."

Washington, D.C.'s police chief described two of the shooters as a white male and a black male.

D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said in a mid-day news conference that one of the suspected shooters is dead, while authorities are looking for two other suspects wearing green and tan military style clothing.

“The big concern for us right now is that we have potentially two other shooters that we have not located at this point,” Lanier said.

Lanier described one as a white male wearing what appeared to be a khaki tan military uniform and a beret, and carrying a handgun. She said police also are looking for a black man, about 50, wearing an olive military-style uniform, and possessing a “long gun” ...

Two law enforcement officials said there are at least nine fatalities, including the shooter. The dead shooter had an assault rifle and a handgun, two law enforcement officials said. One said he also had a shotgun.

The Root 100 People's Choice Awards  
Sept. 19 2014 8:34 AM