Protesters March Over Zimmerman Verdict

From Washington, D.C., to Los Angeles, marchers gathered early Sunday in peaceful protests to express disappointment over the verdict.

Dueling demonstrators outside the Sanford, Fla., courthouse await a verdict. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Dueling demonstrators outside the Sanford, Fla., courthouse await a verdict. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Demonstrators gathered peacefully around the nation early Sunday to express disappointment over George Zimmerman’s acquittal in the death of the unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin nearly a year ago in Sanford, Fla., according to various media outlets. In Florida, there were pockets of small peaceful gatherings throughout the state.

The Washington Post reports that marchers took to the streets of some of Washington, D.C.’s liveliest night spots to demonstrate their disappoint over the verdict.

Pumping fists and carrying placards, they marched down U Street NW, into Adams Morgan and then on to Columbia Heights, with their numbers swelling in the hours after midnight, as they chanted “No justice, no peace,” and “Trayvon, Trayvon.”

Although the protesters went down streets that normally carry considerable traffic, it appeared that they caused little disruption. Police maintained a presence behind and ahead of the impromptu march.

One placard read: “Stop criminalizing black men.” Another said “Trayvon We Will Never Forget You.” Still another read: “Only White Life is Protected in America.”

Meanwhile, Fox News reports that protesters also gathered in four California cities and marched peacefully.

In San Francisco, raucous, yet peaceful protesters marched on the city’s Mission District neighborhood; while about 200 in Los Angeles convened for a vigil in Leimart Park, or the city’s historically black neighborhood. City News Service in Los Angeles said, at one point, a smaller group halted an Expo Line train, somewhere within the city, but police could not immediately confirm details of that account.

Los Angeles Police Department Lt. Andy Neiman said another group of 50 to 100 demonstrators marched around midnight.

“There was a period where crowds were running among vehicles, but police dissuaded them,” he reportedly said, although he added that he knew of no arrests.