Tuesday, June 11, 8:44 a.m. EDT: On the first day of George Zimmerman’s second-degree-murder trial, members of both his family and Trayvon Martin’s told the court that they have received death threats, ABC News reports. “We have an issue with security,” Trayvon’s mother, Sybrina Fulton, said yesterday. “We have decided that we would not wear bulletproof vests. Are we taking a chance with our lives? Yes, we certainly are, but we’re putting our faith in God.” Zimmerman’s brother Robert Zimmerman also mentioned death threats his family has received when he addressed the court in the morning.
Monday, June 10, 2013, 7:28 p.m. EDT: Potential jurors met George Zimmerman on Monday before filling out questionnaires for the lawyers picking a panel that will decide if he’s guilty of second-degree murder in the death of Trayvon Martin, NBC News reports. Prosecutors and defense attorneys are expected to take about two weeks to find six jurors and some alternates. Five hundred people received summonses for the high-profile trial, and 100 of them reported on Monday.
Monday, June 10, 2013, 7:02 a.m. EDT: As jury selection begins today in George Zimmerman’s second-degree-murder trial, legal experts preduct that race may be a focus, ABC News reports. “Each side will try to stack the deck in their favor,” said Jose Baez, who successfully defended Casey Anthony in 2011. “It’s going to be an issue of what type of jurors will sit in the judgment of George Zimmerman. What political backgrounds do they come from? What are their views on racism? What are their views on gun control? All of these important modern issues that we’re facing … and that’s what jury selection will be about in this case.” Zimmerman, who fatally shot Trayvon Martin in Florida, has claimed self-defense, and his attorney plans to portray the unarmed teen as a troublemaker.
Friday, June 7, 11:12 a.m. EDT: A new video from Trayvon Martin’s cellphone publicly reveals his voice for the first time. Listen to it at ABC News.
Thursday, June 6, 11 a.m. EDT: At a hearing today, Judge Debra Nelson of Seminole County Circuit Court in Florida rejected a request from a lawyer for George Zimmerman to shield the identities of as many as seven witnesses at Zimmerman’s upcoming trial, NBC reports. Attorney O’Mara said that the concerns of the potential trial witnesses included “personal concerns for their safety,” but Nelson seemingly agreed with prosecutors who worried that it would be “alarming and confusing to a juror and might otherwise highlight their testimony when it shouldn’t be highlighted.”
Tuesday, June 4, 2013, 8:22 a.m. EDT: The 5th District Court of Appeal ruled yesterday that Benjamin Crump, an attorney for Trayvon Martin’s family, must answer questions under oath from George Zimmerman’s attorneys. The defense will have a right to depose Crump about his dealings with a woman who was on the phone with Trayvon moments before he was shot and is expected to be the state’s most important witness, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
Monday, June 3, 11:05 a.m. EDT: George Zimmerman’s lawyers said on Sunday that a video found on Trayvon Martin’s cellphone actually shows two homeless men fighting over a bicycle, not two of Trayvon’s friends beating up a homeless man, as defense attorney Mark O’Mara described it in court last week. O’Mara described his mischaracterization in court as unintentional and said, “We have been committed to disputing misinformation in every aspect of this case, not causing it,” the Los Angeles Times reports.
Wednesday, May 29, 6:13 p.m. EDT: George Zimmerman’s defense fund is almost depleted, just under two weeks before the scheduled beginning of his second-degree-murder trial in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, the Huffington Post reports. Zimmerman’s attorneys posted on their website Wednesday that the fund had less than $5,000 left. The fund had almost $315,000 in January.
Tuesday, May 28, 6 p.m. EDT: At a hearing today, U.S. Circuit Judge Debra Nelson ruled that George Zimmerman’s defense will be barred from mentioning Trayvon Martin’s marijuana use, history of fights or high school suspension during opening statements in Zimmerman’s second-degree-murder trial, which begins June 10. She also denied the defense’s requests for more time to prepare for the trial. Read more at the Orlando Sentinel.
Tuesday, May 28, 9:54 a.m. EDT: Today Mark O’Mara, George Zimmerman’s defense attorney, will ask U.S. Circuit Judge Debra Nelson to postpone George Zimmerman’s second-degree-murder trial in order to assess whether voice-identification experts should be allowed to testify, and to allow the jury to learn about Trayvon’s drug use, fights and school history. Watch the pretrial hearing live at NBC News.