Virginia Teen Detained in Kuwait Allowed Home

Gulet Mohamed was forbidden to return to the U.S. after appearing on a no-fly list.

Posted:
 
gulet
Dayna Smith/Washington Post

Gulet Mohamed, a 19-year-old Virginian who was detained in Kuwait last month after being placed on a no-fly list, has finally reunited with his family in the United States. Mohamed's attorneys allege that the U.S. citizen, who had visited Somalia, Yemen and Kuwait on his trip, was abused while in custody.

From the Washington Post:

Gadeir Abbas, a staff attorney with the Council on American-Islamic Relations who is representing Mohamed along with Nadhira al-Khalili, said FBI agents in Kuwait also tried to question the teenager despite the fact that he told them he wanted his American attorneys present for any interrogation.

Civil liberties groups allege that Mohamed's case is part of a pattern in which American citizens are barred from flying to the United States so they can be questioned by U.S. agents while overseas and without counsel.

Read more at the Washington Post.

Comments
The Root encourages respectful debate and dialogue in our commenting community. To improve the commenting experience for all our readers we will be experimenting with some new formats over the next few weeks. During this transition period the comments section will be unavailable to users.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your continued support of The Root.

While we are experimenting, please feel free to leave feedback below about your past experiences commenting at The Root.
Must-See Family Attractions
July 29 2014 2:13 PM